School of Law Alumni
1 Camino Santa MariaSan Antonio, TX 78228
St. Mary's University
Skip to main content
St. Mary’s University Law Alumni Association Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
A commitment to serve on the St. Mary’s University Law Alumni Association (LAA) carries with it certain responsibilities and expectations, both formal and informal.
- Attend LAA General Board Meetings held four times a year (up to two may be via conference call) and participate in committee meetings.
- Encourage enlightened, active, and positive participation of alumni in law school and Law Alumni Association affairs and activities.
- Support the law school financially at a personally appropriate level.
- Be a member of the Law Alumni Association.
- Chair or serve on one or more committees or task forces during the year, to report back to the board on activities, and to fulfill commitments within agreed upon deadlines.
- Serve as an ambassador in the community on behalf of the St. Mary’s University Law Alumni Association.
- Attend major law events, such as the distinguished law graduate dinner, and any regional alumni activities in your area where possible.
- Review and recommend candidates for LAA awards, volunteer leaders, or future LAA members.
- Approach all board issues with an open mind, prepared to make the best decisions for the good of the whole.
- Do nothing to violate the trust of those the board serves.
- Do no use the organization or one’s service on the board for one’s own advantage or for the individual advantage of one’s friends or supporters.
- Maintain confidentiality with pertinent university information.
- Avoid conflicts of interest.
- Be willing to share ideas for new initiatives and provide advice on alumni programs and activities.
- Work to enhance and develop association planning.
©2017. All rights reserved.